Ossett Pictures - Congregational Church

Previous | Home | Next

Ossett Congregational Church

Ossett Congregational Chapel on The Green from an early Ossett post card. This was the third chapel to be built on the site and was opened in 1883, replacing an earlier building erected in 1850. The original Independent Congregational Chapel was built following the raising of public subscriptions in 1732/33. Before then, from 1717, Mr. Richard Foster set aside part of his shop for Mr. Thomas Dickenson to preach.

Early chapel members were described in "Two Centuries of Worship and Work", a book published in 1917 as a short history of the chapel, as "thoughtful hard-headed men in whom the emotional was not so strongly developed as the intellectual."

The last service to be held at the chapel was on Easter Sunday in 1973 after which, the building was demolished and replaced by housing.