What's New?
Date of Addition
Details
12th November 2014

Added new section, Longlands in the Ossett Heritage list - an annotated version of the history of Longlands House and the Haigh family of Ossett, written by Ossett historian Alan Howe.

3rd May 2015

Added eight new pictures to the Picture Gallery section from photographs sent to me by Chris Robinson (from his father Albert Robinson's collection); from Pat Brothwell (nee Milner) and from Joyce Broughton (nee Webb). There are now over 180 Ossett pictures in the Picture Gallery, many which have not been published elsewhere.

Added to the Downloads section, Powerpoint presentation "Ossett Men at War" which was produced for the Ossett Historical Society meeting on the 27th April 2015 and presented then by Alan Howe and Steve Wilson.

1st July 2015

Added the story of Ossett's last blacksmith, Don Cawthra in the Ossett People page. With thanks to Steve Armitage of Gildersome for his recollections of Don and also the use of his photographs. Also, to Alan and Pat Howe for their anecdotes about Don Cawthra.

26th July 2015

New section added written by Neville Ashby in the Healey section, specifically about Millbank, which adjoins Healey and Ossett at the Figure of Three Lock on the Calder and Hebble canal. This section is now renamed "Healey and Millbank" to reflect the new material added by Neville, which covers some original research about the industrial heritage of the area.

19th November 2015

Parts of the Ossett Houses section on Green Mount and Sowood House re-written and greatly expanded by Alan Howe. Also added in the Downloads Section, a detailed History of Sowood House and the Doctors Greenwood. Other minor updates to the Gawthorpe page.

23rd February 2016

Added the history of Elder House, Teall Street to the Ossett Houses section. Also added in the Downloads Section, a detailed History of Rock Cottgages by Alan Howe. Added four new pictures to the Picture Gallery page.

15th April 2016

New section in the Healey section about the history of the people of Healey, Ossett, with a more comprehensive version as a PDF in the Downloads section, all researched by Alan Howe. Update and correction to the Digges La Touche brothers biography after correspondence with Michael La Touche, the son of Alexander La Touche.

4th July 2016

Major update. Added new section called Brammer's Ossett Sketches with many more sketches and descriptions of the scenes by Ossett artist Douglas Brammer. New section by Helen Bickerdike detailing the laying of the foundation stone at Ossett Town Hall and the grand opening ceremony in 1908. New update to the history of Sowood House on Ossett Green with additional material and pictures of Dr. Stephen Brandon Stoker by Alan Howe. Updated the Gawthorpe page with new pictures of the Boot and Shoe public house and some minor corrections. Added David Scriven's excellent snapshot of Ossett during WW1 for the months of July through December 1916.